Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Wow! (Potty Training)

So, I had blogged about some goals I had hoped to accomplish before this baby comes.  One of them was to have Paxton potty trained.  I don't know if I really had the full intention to try.  Being pregnant and knowing what it took for me to train Quinn, well, I just wasn't ready for it.  I decided that it could wait.  I had Quinn and Paxton in diapers for a full year together.  Yikes!  I got through it.  Although, it would be nice to have Paxton potty trained. 

I was changing Paxton's bum (this was Jan. 29th) and I was talking to him to talk.  I cleaned him up but hadn't put his fresh diaper on yet when I asked him when he was going to start to use the toilet.  He gets up and I'm thinking great, I don't want to have to chase him.  To my surprise, he walked to the little potty I have sitting in my bathroom and just went pee.  I was shocked!  He brings back a pair of Quinn's underwear.  I asked him if he wanted a diaper or the underwear.  He pointed to the underwear.  He stayed dry the rest of the night.  I just asked if he needed to go and if he did he went.  I put a diaper on him that night obviously not trusting him.  Since Friday night went so well I thought I'd try for Saturday too.  He did so good!  He struggled making it in time when he had to poop but I think he only had one accident peeing.  I kept it up and he hasn't worn a diaper during the day since.  I put a diaper on him at night and during nap time.  It seems that I'm not fast enough when he wakes to get him to the toilet.  Last night he woke me at 5:30 yelling poo because he had to pee.  I took him and he did wake dry.

I was totally unprepared since I hadn't fully planned to potty train him.  I didn't have enough underwear so he had to wear Quinn's.  The neighbor brought over some clothes and inside were some underwear his size.  I made him wear them.  That might sound gross but I thought he's a little boy and will just soil them anyways.  This little boy where they came from, comes from a clean family.  They give us so many clothes that I doubt he can wear them all.  The underwear looked hardly worn.  So, I thought why not?  I didn't want to leave the house and chance having accidents while out so I just winged it.  Also, when I potty trained Quinn, he was older and also bigger.  I had to buy the bigger sizes.  The ones I had didn't fit Paxton.  Since that's all I had that is what he wore!

I'd like to say this has been really easy...but considering his age and since it was his idea it has been a whole lot easier with him than it was with Quinn.  We still have had our moments.  There are days when I swear my life is overrun by poop.  He still has his occasional accidents.  I have to help him.  He needs a stool to be able to reach the toilet.  Sometimes, he gets so anxious that he forgets to pull his pants down while standing at the toilet that he still pees his pants.  Of course, there are times he just plain misses. 

Going into town I try to take him every hour to make sure he doesn't have an accident.  He has loved being able to pee outside especially on trees and my van tire.  What do you do when he needs to go? 

I think I need to give the credit to Quinn for helping out so much with this whole process.  Paxton wants to be just like him.  He loves everything about Quinn.  Quinn will take him potty a lot of the time or tell him that it's time.  They go together a lot of the time.

Paxton has most of his accidents when we are somewhere he's not familiar with and he doesn't know where the bathroom is, if he doesn't know the people around him that well, or when he feels like going to the bathroom he will miss out on whatever is going on.  During these times, I just take him and he goes kicking and screaming.  He always goes.  He is a funny kid...he will then want to go again but won't be able to since he has just emptied out his bladder.

We still struggle with pooping.  The problem comes when his bowels are so loose it just comes out.  He tries to tell me but a lot of the time it's too late.  On normal days, or when the bowels are not so loose, he does great! 

I love not worrying about diapers and love that he can go in the toilet.  It sure is saving us a lot of money.  It will be so nice to not have two in diapers.  I really really really hope that he doesn't revert backwards when the baby is born.  I hope we'll have been doing this long enough that he'll just get it and it won't matter. 

2 comments:

Jessie said...

Wow! I suppose he was just plain ready?! So, so cool. What a blessing. I tried potty training Levi last week and gave up. Ha! We'll try again later.

Bryan and Karalee said...

Good job Paxton! Dane would be awful to try and potty train right now, I think Clark will beat him!! I always tease that Dane is our baby because he still has a bottle and pacifier and Clark doesn't!! I think they will learn to talk at the same time too!! Silly Dane! I soooo wish I didn't have 2 in diapers, it's the worst! Can't wait to meet this little girl!! Let's get together soon, Kay??