Sunday, March 9, 2014

Quinn with a goose egg!

I was getting ready for church.  I was putting on my skirt.  The last thing I needed to do before heading out the door.  Quinn was right next to me.  As I was adjusting the length his feet got tangled in the bottom of my skirt.  He tried catching his balance and took two steps into the hallway and then fell.  His head hit our metal cold air return.  I knew when he was falling he would hit it.  The fall was so hard and I could I hear the pain and agony.  I immediately picked him up but couldn't see how bad it was since he had his hand over it.  Mike was able to look at him from over my shoulder and access.  I laid him on the bed and he started growing a goose egg...and fast.  It kept rising.  It was dramatic like in those Looney Toone shows.  I didn't think it was real.  I always thought they were exaggerating.  I started to freak out inside but tried to stay calm for Quinn.  I told Mike I have never seen a goose egg that big.  I looked to see if there were any signs of a concussion and there wasn't.  I was able to relax a tiny bit.  I asked him what to do. I told him, let's say a prayer.  That's what we did.  We prayed and then Mike gave Quinn a blessing.  Quinn was like I can't stop crying.  I told him it's okay and to cry all he wants. 
 
We took him to church and found a retired doctor from our ward and asked him what we should do.  He gave us direction and we immediately took him back home and got him situated.  I think that he liked being pampered and being able to watch TV all afternoon. 
 
I took Paxton and went to church.  I only went to sacrament meeting.  I dropped Paxton off at nursery.  I traded Mike off watching over Quinn.  When I arrived home he asked if he could go to church.  I guess that medicine did it's job. 

  I don't think these pictures do his goose egg justice.  It's hard to tell the middle is raised.  The doctor said to not be surprised if later he has two black eyes.  This picture was right when it first happened and was taken with my phone...thus why it's blurry.
 I was shocked to see how much his swelling went down from just icing it.
This picture was taken right when I got home from church. 
I always love my kids.  But when something like this happens it makes me realize how blessed we are.  Quinn and Paxton are both healthy little boys.  I don't have a lot to worry about health wise with these two.  I wanted to cry all day but never did.  I feel really emotional.  I'm sure being pregnant doesn't help with emotions either.  After I put the boys down for their nap and they were actually asleep, I had a quiet moment and just prayed for their behalf.  I thanked Heavenly Father for them and the wonderful opportunity to be their mother.  I feel so blessed that this wasn't anything more.  So many things could have happened and they didn't.  If he would've hit the corner instead.  He didn't get cut...no concussion, etc.
 
I realize how good of a boy Quinn (and Paxton too) is.  I wish I could've taken his pain.  I'm sure all moms feel this way when their little one is sick or hurt.
 
In the meantime, I know Quinn will heal.  He is resilient.  So far he has a good attitude.  He might look funny for a while but that's ok.  He's healthy, full of life, and my normal full of personality Quinn! 


1 comment:

Bryan and Karalee said...

Poor quinners. I agree, the hardest part of motherhood is not being able to take away your child's pain. I wish I was a little closer so I could help pamper him!! I hope he gets better soon. Love you all!!