Monday, March 31, 2014

Baby Chickies

We've been debating about getting some chickies for some time now.  We don't actually want to keep them or have them around forever.  We thought it would be fun for the kids when they're little to have around for like a month or so.  Every year it seems like something comes up or we can't find anyone to take them off of our hands once we are done with them.  Well, this year we were in luck.  Our neighbors got some and I was asking questions.  She offered for us to take them for the month and then give them back.  That's perfect!  She gave us the stuff to take care of them.  They think we are doing them a favor since it's our electricity being used for the heat lamp.  Their kids are older and aren't really interested in them.  It works out for both of us.  I'm not a huge fan but the boys (especially Mike) just love them! 

If this baby comes before the month is up then they'll go back before that.  I don't want them around when she is born.  I'm the party pooper!  I hope she comes a week early too.  So, hope and pray with me, k?!?

Mike puts them in this box when he wants to play with them.  They're home is a much more comfortable spot.  They were pecking things on the side and it gave him an idea to put a hole in the side of the box and let them eat worms.  The boys had a riot shoving them through and then seeing the chicks fight over them. 

 Quinn named them Rhett, Mole, and the one was already named Stinky and I think he kept that name the same. 

 I think this is somewhat good practice for when the baby comes.  Rules have been established and they have to follow them to be able to be around them.  They are learning to be gentle and to follow directions.  They scare the chicks if they are too wild so I have taught them to settle down around them.  Surprisingly, they have done a good job handling the birds.
 I don't know who loves the birds more; Mike or the boys.  He will visit them even without Quinn and Paxton.  He claims it's for them but we both know better.   I know that he comes home looking forward to spending time with them.  It's been good daddy interaction time too.  I'm not one to spend a lot of time with them.  Quinn and Paxton look forward to when daddy comes home to be able to feed them worms and crickets.

I just told Mike teasingly that he better be just as excited when the baby is born; lol!
Paxton and Quinn are both so anxious to feed them.  They fight over who gets to give them the next worm. 

1 comment:

Bryan and Karalee said...

I don't think your neighbor could have found a better chick-sitter than Mike!! That guy loves animals, I'm surprised you don't have your own little petting zoo!! Ha! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your little babe to come a week early! I'm SO excited. We should try to get together before she comes. Wanna come for dinner one day??