Saturday, January 25, 2014

Hm Hm (warning...could be a little tmi)

Yep, it's true.  I'm expecting another baby...a baby GIRL!  I'm due April 24, 2014.
 
I found out I was pregnant on September 29, 2013.  I would have known a whole lot sooner if I didn't get this creative idea to try to skip my period.  The first time I tried to do that it didn't work.  I thought I'd give it another whirl.  I was surprised at how well it worked.  I didn't think much of it until the next month when my period should have arrived and it didn't.  I thought that since I skipped the previous month my body was just out of whack.  So, I waited 10 whole days before I tested.
 
I didn't know what to think.  It was a lot to bring in.  I was afraid Mike was going to be mad.  I couldn't help myself.  I went right into our room and just showed him.  He was getting ready for work.  He just said, "Well, what does that mean?" Me: "Um, I'm pregnant." 
 
He took the news rather well.  I asked if he was mad and if he thought I sabotaged it or not.  He just simply replied whether you did or not doesn't matter because it is so.  We can't change it.  Then he said this; we get the wonderful opportunity to welcome another spirit into our home.  Why not embrace it?
 
For the record though, I didn't sabotage it.
 
I waited to go to the doctor until 10 weeks from September 19th.  That was when I was supposed to have my period that never came.  Wouldn't that be the worst if I assumed I was farther along and really wasn't?  I didn't want to get too excited.  I thought I'd play it safe and just count from that date.  Also, I wasn't all that big or showing yet.  I didn't think I was feeling any movement.  I didn't think there was any way that I could be farther than that anyways.
 
When I went to the doctor they asked how far along they thought I was.  I told them 10 weeks; that's why I'm here.  They go to do the vaginal ultrasound and realized that the baby was huge...I was actually farther along than I had claimed.  They had to go over the top and finish the ultrasound.
 
I learned almost immediately that I was actually 17 weeks 5 days.  Wow!  That also is a lot to take in.  Mike commented that we were pregnant before we thought we were pregnant?  You didn't sabotage it!  They told us that day that we were having a girl.  We didn't ask.  She just told us.  I was not expecting to know the gender that day.  The ultrasound technician told us to not take that as 100% sure but to wait for the 20 week ultrasound.  She did have a point so I didn't want to get too excited since it was still early.  I didn't want to let people know that they thought it was a girl.  Once it came up in conversation Mike just told people.  I don't blame him.  It's new and he's excited (even though he won't admit that he is...to others.)
 
Well, at the 20 week ultrasound they confirmed it was a girl.  Yay!  I would've been happy either way.  The ultrasound went well until she was looking at the heart.  The heartbeat was irregular and she kept studying it.  I asked if something was wrong or if that was normal.  She just said she was going to let the doctor answer that question.  That made me super nervous.  She was willing to answer all of our other questions.  Also, our baby girl had the hiccups and she didn't know if that played a factor in it or not.
 
The doctor ordered another ultrasound in 2 weeks to just look at the heart.  The doctor said to not to worry because everything structurally looked well.  I went in on Christmas Eve and everything looked fine.  She had a regular heartbeat.  No worries. Phew!  We had another confirmation of the gender.  So, three times I've been told I'm having a girl.
 
 Now, with only 3 months left I feel like I have so many things I need to get done.  I almost feel overwhelmed.  I made myself a list and told myself to take one at a time and one day at a time.  I have some time left.  It will be okay if I don't get everything done.
 
Some goals I have are; 1) Get Paxton into his own bed.  Well, he's been sleeping in Quinn's room for about a week.  I don't have to lay with anymore for him to fall asleep either.  We are making progress on this one. 
2) Take Paxton's binki away.  He loves his binki.  I think I'm going to have to cut it.
 
3) Have Paxton potty trained.  Okay, so I know he's kind of young.  I've heard of it being done before.  I don't want two babies in diapers.  He'll sit on his potty out of play.  He knows when he was gone because he'll come tell me when he needs a diaper change.  If he happens to not be wearing a diaper because he love to strip he loves to watch it come out.  He'll show me but he won't go in the potty.  I haven't actually tried potty training.  These are things he's doing on his own anyway.  I'd ideally like him trained but we'll see how it goes when I try.
 
4) I've been working with Quinn on his alphabet.  I'd like him to be able to tell me all 26 letters before this baby comes.  I've been trying to make it fun by letting him have chocolate chips for correct answers.  We'll play games, etc.  I just don't think I'll have a lot of time once she's here.  The weather will be warmer.  I'll be tempted to be outside and not want to work on things like this.
 
5) Every year I have to have 20 hours of CEU's.  I want to get this done before April or else it probably won't happen.  I'm afraid I'll forget to do it.
 
6) Of course, I have the obvious stuff like moving Paxton's things into Quinn's room and getting her stuff out and ready.  That alone will take a little bit of time.  The boys have bunk beds so that needs to be put together.  I need a dresser for her stuff, etc, etc, etc.
 
Well, this pregnancy has gone really fast.  She'll be here before I know it.
 
I also have anxieties about having 3 small kids.  They are all 2 years apart.  Their birthdays will be March, April, and May.  I fear that I'm going to feel overwhelmed.  I hear it's a rough transition.  I want to be able to enjoy the kids while they're young and not feel so weighed down.  Paxton was somewhat of a difficult baby because he was colicky.  It'd be hard to go through that again especially with two other little ones to worry about.  I'm thinking positive.
 
I'm so excited for this baby to come!  I'm way excited to meet her.  I wonder what she'll look like.  I know she'll just melt my heart.  I think about her personality.  I think about heaven...and how she's been waiting to come down.  Every time she moves I think about what a miracle it is to carry her and to have a developing baby inside.
 
I love my boys so much and I know she won't be any different.  I'll love her just as much!  It will be weird to think about when she wasn't a part of our family.
 
 

2 comments:

Jessie said...

This is going to be the shortest pregnancy ever! Congratulations!!! A girl. I'm so excited for you. You're a wonderful mama, and you'll do a wonderful job raising them. I'm nervous about adding a third baby too! (No, I'm not pregnant.) My neighbor has also potty trained three of her kids before they turned two, so it can be done! I'm tempted to try it with Levi this summer.

Jessie said...

This is going to be the shortest pregnancy ever! Congratulations!!! A girl. I'm so excited for you. You're a wonderful mama, and you'll do a wonderful job raising them. I'm nervous about adding a third baby too! (No, I'm not pregnant.) My neighbor has also potty trained three of her kids before they turned two, so it can be done! I'm tempted to try it with Levi this summer.