Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Livin' the HiGh LiFe


Mike and I have been in our house since April of 2008.  That first Christmas in the house, Mike's parents and he, went together to buy me a garage door opener.  I was so excited.  Our garage door is so heavy and is a pain to open.  This is especially true in winter.  I've parked in the garage for convenience and to spare my body from less exposure to the blistering winter weather.  That's is super hard to do when I have to get out and close the door before pulling out of my driveway.  Anyways, obviously this is something I'd love to have.  Mike knew it so he got it for me.
Then he did something unexpected.  He took it back to the store.  Yes, this is true.  Now, why would he get me a present and just take it back to the store?  He assumed that we would sell the house the next year and didn't want to put any more money into it than necessary. 

Well, we are in the 2011 and we still are here.  Big surprise, right? (Not really!) So, I told Mike that this winter is the winter I get a garage door opener because I don't want to hassle with it.  I'd prefer to park in the garage with Quinn.

Mike made a bargain with me.  If I helped him today at the "house" (Gene is building a house for his parents and Mike helps him on his day off with it), he would install it for me afterward.  I took him up on it. 

I was so giddy to use it.  Mike made fun of me.  He says I was like a teenager just getting my drivers license.  You have to realize that we never had one of these growing up.  My parents didn't park in the garage.  They used it for storage. 

I got to try it out today. I parked in the garage...and didn't have to get out of my car to close it. It was so convenient. It was splendid. It was all that I had hoped for and more.


This is the coolest thing ever invented (as of right now).  I love it.

2 comments:

Bryan and Karalee said...

Garage door openers are the best thing ever...next to a garage! I am so excited for you, This winter will be much nicer not having to fight the weather just to get to your car. Good Job Mike!!

Jessie said...

I totally understand your excitement. I just got a dishwasher after two years of doing them by hand and I am in heaven.