Monday, June 27, 2011

A Walk Down Memory Lane

We were so lucky to have family come visit. It is Mike's brother Bryant, his wife Kari, and their 3 kids Madi, Max, and Maya. We thoroughly enjoyed their 2 week visit with us.



Our first activity as a family was going up to the dry farm to shoot guns. This is actually something I quite enjoy. So, I was way way way excited to go.



We thought that it'd be hard to bring Quinn so he was with Caryn and Jacen during this time.



I thought that we'd just go straight to our shooting place, set up, and then shoot until we had run out of ammo. That was not the case. We stopped every so often. The first stop was to enjoy and marvel the scenery around us. I'm glad we stopped because, even though it's dry and Idaho, it is actually quite pretty. It's its own kind of pretty.





"The View"


Our next stop was a little bit of a history of Grandpa Dale's life growing up. By this time, we had been driving around for what seemed like a long time. Especially since we didn't know that we'd be making these stops. So, we assumed that this was where we were going to be shooting. Nope, it was to show us where Grandpa Dale went to school as a boy.





The area in back is where the kids would sit to have their lesson.


Can you believe this used to be a school? For me, it's hard to imagine. At the same time, it's cool to think about all the changes that have occurred in his lifetime. It helps me to appreciate all the modern conveniences we have. A lot of the time we take them for granted.

He used to ride his horse from his house to school every morning. He was about 6 years old.

The third stop was to see the house he grew up in.






Obviously, it has gotten new siding at some point. It is now used like a cabin.



Their "El bano" and the barn


This is where we did end up shooting. Targets, pop cans, and pop bottles were being shot. The kids did great!

I got attacked by Bryant's shells since he kept pulling the trigger so quickly. I had to be careful! (In picture 2)


I loved shooting. The most exhilarating by far was shooting Bryant's service gun. (Bryant is a cop in Phoenix, AZ.) It scared me to death. It's a beast. I don't know how on movies it seems like it's no big deal to shoot these guns. They yank the arms off of ya and they are SO loud. We each put earplugs in. (In the last 4 pictures we're shooting his service gun.)


I kept wanting to put my fingers where they shouldn't be. It was hard to concentrate.


Getting back was a lot quicker. We didn't make any stops. Mike, Grandpa, Gene, and I went back early. We wanted to get back so Quinn could get a nap before going back over for dinner later that night.

No comments: